Pages

27.8.16

LA: FOOD LOVERS #3



Hi friends! It is time for the third edition of my Food Lovers (AKA some of my favorite places to eat/drink in LA). If you missed the previous posts, no worries, you can find them HERE and HERE. As a little reminder, in my food lover category, I share some of the restaurants, bars & coffee shops that I like to go to in LA. There are so many options to eat in LA (everyone and even the most picky ones like me can find what they need/like) that it's not always easy to find the right place. When I first moved here, I used to only eat at the same place all the time: it was good and I was sure to like it. Every time I tried a new place, I always took the risk of being disappointed. It is normal you would say, we can always be disappointed with something/somewhere new, but still, no one likes to be disappointed, so I was always picking the safest option. By sharing these addresses, I hope that if you visit LA, these places can give you some ideas and you won't make the same mistake as I: wait forever before trying them.

ALFRED COFFEE for coffee & an afternoon of work/reading:


One of my recent discoveries is Alfred Coffee. I'm sure you have heard of this place before and their "But first, Coffee" slogan, it seems to be very popular here in LA. To be honest, when I first got here, I used to only go to Starbucks. I know, that's not very original, but yeah, it was my safe option. Little did I know that LA is filled with little gems and that there are so many amazing coffee places, I just needed to look for it. Alfred is a little gem; I am in love with their chai latte and I love the atmosphere; it's really well decorated. It's a perfect spot to work from, read or meet and chat with a friend. 


Addresses: 
- Melrose: 8428 Melrose Pl, Los Angeles, CA 90069
Melrose/in the alley: 8509 Melrose Avenue, West Hollywood, CA 90069 (this one also has bagels)
- Brentwood: 11908 San Vicente Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90049
- Silverlake: 3337 1/2 Sunset Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90026

My pick (what I prefer on the menu):

- Iced Chai Latte. One of the best I tried in LA. No joke.

* THE SUNSET RESTAURANT for lunch/drinks: 

The Sunset Restaurant is one of my very favorite places, if not my absolute favorite. I am cheating a little bit here because this place is not in LA, but in Malibu, Point Dume to be exact. But when you come to LA, Malibu should definitely be on your list anyway ha. I already talked about it in my Malibu's post, but I felt the need to reiterate my endless love for this place. I can't explain it, I just love it. I have been there many times and always have a great experience. I celebrated my last two birthdays there, took my mom for one of the best afternoon we had and I would even consider getting married at this place. Not that I am going to get married anytime soon, but that shows how much I like it. We found it randomly with G. during one afternoon when we were at the beach. We got hungry and this was the only option and I have gone there ever since. Every time I go to Malibu, this is where I go. I love the atmosphere of it, it's right by the beach and I don't think that there is anything better in life than eating while looking at the ocean. You can either get a table (it is possible to reserve), sit at the bar (where you can order food as well) or sit in the lounge area. You don't need reservation for the bar or the lounge, it's on a first come/first serve basis. It is not really expensive for a restaurant on the beach, but still count about $30/40 dollars per person for food & drinks. The food is amazing, they have the best fish tacos I have ever eaten. Note that it can get really crowded during the weekend (depending on the season), but I never had to wait very long to get a table/spot. There are of course other places in Malibu, but if you happen to be in Pointe Dume, do yourself a favor and try this place.



Address: 6800 Westward Beach Rd, Malibu, CA 90265

My pick: 
- The Fish Tacos and the Parmesan-Truffle french fries.

* HARLOWE BAR for a light dinner and drinks:

Harlowe Bar is a place that I only discovered recently and I am not even sure how I did. I believe it was G. who found it when he was looking for new places for us to go to. I can get very picky sometimes when we go out and the choice of the place depends on my mood ha. My favorite kind of places lately though have been the ones where it feels cosy. By cosy I mean sitting on a couch with some drinks and food to share. Harlowe is that type of place. It has this little old fashioned and classic look, but it's really fun. It really does get crowded after 10:00PM, but if you arrive a little early, you can get a table (or sit at the bar if you prefer) and get some food while you start drinking. The music does get loud so it's not always easy to talk, but every time I go, I always have a good time. The food is delicious and the mojitos amazing. 


Once again, I wish I had photos to show you, but the few I have, are too dark, so it's not really representative; but if you look at the website, it will give you an idea of the place. If you look to combine a light dinner with drinks that then turns into a party, that's the place to go to!


Address: 7321 Santa Monica Blvd, West Hollywood, CA 90046

My pick:

- Cheese & Charcuterie Board 
- Roasted Vegetables (G's pick)
- A Mojito!

* Bonus: PINKBERRY for frozen yogurt:


Since I cheated and gave you a Malibu address instead of an LA one, I have a little bonus for you today (I know, I've just made your day better ha) and decided to share my favorite frozen yogurt place. I love frozen yogurt (who doesn't?!) and never miss an occasion to go get one. There are tons of Fro Yo places in LA, big chains to little independent places, they are all pretty much the same: you pick your Fro-Yo and add toppings. I tried a lot of them, but my absolute favorite and the one that I never get tired of: Pinkberry. Pinkberry is a little different because when in most of the places you can do your fro-yo yourself, there, someone does it for you. I found it ruined all the fun at first, but I actually prefer it. It's cleaner and you're sure to always get what you want. They also have smoothies, which are really good. They have several different flavors, and even some gluten free and healthy (if we can say that about frozen yogurt) options. They also get new flavors depending on the season. I am going there all the time; I have to say that it doesn't help that there is one store two blocks down my street, opened until 2:00AM. (hello extra weight:)


Address:
- Hollywood: 7288 Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90046
Santa Monica: 1456 3rd Street Promenade, Santa Monica, CA 90401
* I just put the two locations that I usually go to, but hey have several of them a little everywhere around L.A.

My pick:
- Yogurt: Plain and pomegranate. Topping: crunchy chocolate.

I hope that these addresses got you hungry and if you have any to share, don't hesitate, I always love to try new ones! Xx


- Célia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love notes *