Pages

5.1.16

San Diego: Seaport Village


Three years ago, I was leaving for the adventure of my life and I was excited and scared at the same time. Scared that this wasn't the right decision, but excited to discover this city, this country, this new culture; excited to explore. I know today that this was the best decision I have ever made, the one who changed my life, the one who showed me what life truly was. I have never been happier than since I moved to California and even though I sometimes feel like moving back or moving somewhere else, I realize that this is where I was meant to be and I don't see myself living anywhere else. At least for now. Maybe forever. 

In San Diego, like I said, I realized what life was truly about for me: traveling, meeting new people from all over the world, discovering new cultures and always trying something new. But more importantly, I realized that life was all about living and stop worrying and wondering about what will come next. I realized that life is short and it isn't meant to be spent doing something you don't like. I truly believe that the most important thing is to wake up happy everyday and even though it's not always easy, the goal is doing at least something that will help you achieve that. And in San Diego, that's how I felt; I wasn't worrying about anything (maybe just about the fact that I had to go back). It was really an easy and wonderful time - no responsibilities, only time to learn, discover and travel. Discovering a new country is always an amazing experience, but learning how to live in it, is something unique. Everything looks wonderful to you and it creates memories that will stay with you forever. I remember the first walk, the first grocery shopping (I had such a hard time with food, that I spent my first month eating cereals), the first time shopping, the first burger, etc. I will always remember the feelings I had when I arrived and all the priceless moments that I spent in San Diego will always be with me. 

Things have changed a bit since I first came to California, but I am beyond grateful to still be living here. 3 years. 3 years is a big deal for my 24 years of life and I realize how amazing this has been. I have been living in another country for 3 years, I have been very, very lucky - but I have also worked for it. Since I moved to LA, things have not always been easy. It's still life - now with palms and a constantly sunny weather, but it's still life and life is not always easy. There are ups and downs, but I am happy. I have changed so much since that January 5th, 2013 - I have evolved, changed some habits for the better, I have met people that impacted my life, I hope I learned some more and I more importantly hope I became a better person. I sometimes hate how I act and I deeply regret some of my actions, but overall, I know that this experience has changed me and no matter what will happen in the future, no matter where I will live, this experience will always be with me - California will always have a part of me and I always will have California is my heart.

I also sometimes feel bad and constantly miss my family and friends. I sometimes feel like I abandoned them - I am selfish in a way, I left for something I wanted, but the ones who truly love me, understand and support. Expatriation also has negative sides, but I know that is was the right choice for me and I can't wait to see what the future holds. 

* When I first arrived in San Diego, I had this long bucket list of things I wanted to do, places I wanted to see. I remember spending months researching about it, counting the days until I would be there. Seaport Village was on this list and was one of the first places I visited after the one I lived in, Pacific Beach. This place is so relaxing, the whole San Diego is relaxing to be honest, but Seaport Village has something particular. I love walking along the shore, the little shops, seeing the buildings of downtown. There are many things to do at Seaport Village (visiting the USS Midway, a Boat tour and seeing Coronado Island, etc.) and I will explain more and tell you everything there is to see in my San Diego City Guide which is coming very soon on the blog.

I have a lot of good memories with this place and San Diego in general. And today more than ever, that's all I wanted to talk about. The city that changed my life. This text might be a little incoherent, but with today's feeling, it's nothing but truthful. It sometimes hurts to think about it - think that this is all over, that this experience is behind me; but I still live here and the wonderful thing with life, is knowing that the best days haven't happened yet. 

To all the people I met and shared memories with within those three years, thank you. To my parents, thank you for letting me go and making this dream possible. To G., I am eternally grateful <3.

*


- Much Love, Célia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love notes *