Pages

10.10.15

LA: Griffith Observatory


If I had to choose one place in LA, that would be this one. The Griffith Observatory is definitely my favorite place in LA and I think that it's a shame that not enough people know about it. This is, in my opinion, the best spot to admire the city and to see the best sunsets/sunrises.

The Observatory opened in 1935 and has an extensive science and space related displays. It's free to visit, although some shows inside have a small charge. The Observatory itself is closed on Monday, but you still can access the site and enjoy the view. I would, however, recommend to go when it's open because it's very instructive and nice to visit. I would also recommend going there during the week as it tends to be very crowded during the weekend. It's also good to go there a little before sunset so you can admire the city, transforming and lighting up - it's truly breathtaking. The Hollywood Sign is visible from the site as well, but I don't think that this is the best place to see it (near the Hollywood Lake and at the top of the Hollywood trail is a way better spot). Griffith also has a lot of hiking trails that offer beautiful views. 

I went to the Observatory several times and I have never been tired of it. I wish I was going more often to be honest (I feel like that's the thing I always say in my posts though haha). The first time was right when I came back after San Diego. I didn't take my camera with me that time and was quite disappointed to not have pictures. The second time was a couple months later and I was ready to take so many photos, but unfortunately my memory card was full.. So well, once again, no pictures. Decided to not be defeated, I went back the next day with a new memory card and finally was able to capture the beauty of the city (well, my pictures don't fully do it justice, but it's at least something). I went back there two more times with a friend visiting and my mom. I was so excited to show her this place, because this is truly my favorite. I really want to see a sunrise there one day (but I like sleeping so much that I never found the courage to get up - but I will!). I leave you guys with a couple of pictures, hope you enjoy it!

"I said to the sun, ‘Tell me about the big bang.’ The sun said, ‘it hurts to become.’"
— Andrea Gibson, I Sing the Body Electric, Especially When My Power’s Out 


- Love, Célia

1 comment: