Pages

4.8.15

Los Angeles


Los Angeles. Two words, one city that has forever changed my life. I had so many ideas on what to write about it, but here I am in the middle of the night, trying to gather random thoughts together (and I have the feeling that this post will become way more personal than informative). I have been both excited and reluctant about this post. Excited, because I know that deep down inside me, I truly love this city. Reluctant, because, well, I will try to be honest and won't lie here, there are days when I hate it. Yes, LA and I, have this weird relationship of I love/hate you and I can say that it has been a fun roller coaster. The first time I came to LA, I did not like it. However, I have learned to love it since then; and at the same time, I've grown up and have become more comfortable with myself. There are mixed opinions about LA and you can literally find everything here. I believe that LA is a city where everyone can find their place, a city that makes or breaks you, and yet I have had a hard time finding if I do belong in it. First of all, LA is H U G E. You can have a friend living an hour away from you, but you are still in the same city (which of course complicates relationships and I learned it the hard way). Not only is it big, but it's also very vast. Everything is far and I can't imagine living here without a car. You cannot walk anywhere and the public transportation is not a well developed one. But this is also why I love it; there are so many different areas, so many different landscapes. LA; it's the beach, small amounts of tall buildings (that I like to call mini New-York), the palms, beautiful residential areas, bad neighborhoods, big malls, tiny shops, greats places to eat, etc.; and it's unbelievable to think that all of this is one single city.

So like I said, I learned to love LA. Some people love it at first sight, others will never love it at all. This is the city where I spent most of my time and even though we have this complicated relationship, I am beyond grateful for living here. In LA, I grew up. I became a new person, adopted a new lifestyle (I do not have a TV and work out regularly - I often like to joke that if I would have known this before leaving France, I wouldn't have believed it and might not have left haha). Joke aside, I like this new lifestyle and feel better with myself. I have tried so many different foods, seen so many places, and most importantly confirmed what I always knew: I am made to live in a big city. I like having so many options everyday, so many things to do and explore and always something new to try (my list of things to do and places to eat/drink gets bigger and bigger every time I cross something off of it). I like to think that LA made me a better person (although I did make some mistakes and regret it), that even though San Diego truly impacted me, I was reborn in LA. I have finally found what I want to do in life, or should I say found the courage to take an opportunity that I know today, was one of the best decisions of my life (even though it's not easy - but anything worthy in life is hard to get right?).

But of course, LA is also over populated and the traffic is truly awful (this is mostly when I'm sitting in it for two hours that I hate LA, but I guess it's part of the fun). I know that I shouldn't complain about anything, and everyone always keeps reminding me that. I have to admit that I have bad days (because, well this is life) and I already feel terrible for having them and it is beyond exhausting when someone tells you that you can't complain because you're in LA. This is during these bad days that I feel like I still don't belong. However, at the end of the day, I know that no matter what, this is where I want to stay. I am often talking about moving somewhere else (I am falling in love with every city that I visit here), but I know deep down that I cannot leave this place. And if one day I do have to do so, I am certain that I will truly miss it.

Aside from the personal thoughts, there are many things to visit in LA and you should plan plenty of time to do it all: start your day with a hike at Runyon Canyon or to the Hollywood Sign, ride a bike from Santa Monica to Venice Beach, visit the walk of fame, window shop on Rodeo Drive, walk around a typical US campus (UCLA/USC) and finish your day by watching the sunset from the Griffith Observatory and have drinks in Hollywood.(You won't be able to do all of this in one day, but these are some ideas). I also want to clarify that these are some thoughts about the city in general (and only a few pictures - some are from my phone so the quality is not as good as usual) and that I plan on doing a post for each specific area and a city guide with the best places (in my opinion) to eat and drink. One last thing to say, I want to thank you LA for changing my life, helping me grow and learn from my mistakes. I also want to thank you for reminding me that you need to be in love with your life and that dreams do come true

- With love, Célia

6 comments:

  1. I'm so in looooove with your blog! I'm so jealous cause you visited amazing places! You're a lucky girl!
    I hope you know the chance that you have!

    xoxo, vaoakley.blogspot.com ♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I know, I am beyond grateful for everything that happened to me since I am in the U.S! I wish you to visit such amazing places as well (:

      Delete
  2. Je suis trop heureuse que tu sois passée sur mon blog pour que je puisse découvrir le tiens ma belle!
    Tes photos sont magnifiques, j'ai hâte de découvrir les mêmes choses que tu as pu voir!
    Le marché que tu as pris en photo, c'est lequel ?

    Merci de ta réponse et gros bisous!
    Ines ☮♡
    www.destinationlosangeles.fr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci beaucoup Ines :) Je suis contente que ça te plaise et si jamais tu as des questions ou si tu veux des idées de bons plans je serais ravie de t'aider :) Le marché c'est en fait un magasin sur La Brea (100 S La Brea Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90036), y'a plein de trucs c'est top !
      A très vite, gros bisous !

      Delete
  3. I love the way you write and share your niche! Very interesting and different! Keep it coming!
    microblading los angeles

    ReplyDelete

Love notes *